Friday, March 10, 2006

Horseback riding for 5 hours

I hurt. I hurt. I hurt. I have blisters in places where the sun don’t shine. I can’t sit. I can’t stand. I can’t lie down. I paid money to do this. And I don’t regret it.

I was in a region called Miraflor. We rode, actually the horse kinda went and I held on, up and down this mountain surrounded by farms and ranches to these caves where the indigenous people use to get their chalk for colouring their pottery and to a cave where they used to get rocks to make their tools. They weren’t big caves but the experience and the history was interesting.

I stayed overnight on a farm with no electricity or running water. For my shower, I had a bucket of water and a bowl. They had recently (last couple of years) installed a couple of outhouses. People used to just go into the fields to do their business. The government had started a campaign on sanitation awareness a few years back and apparently it’s been working.

The house is just a square brick structure but it seems to work for them. I slept in a shed with a corrugated roof and a flying ant’s nest outside my door. Yes, the mosquito net went up. It got dark around 7 pm and we used candles to find our way around. I went to bed around 8 am and woke up around 6 am to the sound of all the roosters going crazy. Surprisingly, I found a position where I didn’t wince and slept fairly sound.

I originally wanted to stay there for a few more days, but I’m really not a roughing it type girl, especially if I don’t have any of the equipment – like warm clothes.

So, I’m in Leon now. Gonna chill for a few days until I can walk normally again. Then I’m heading to the beach.

No comments: