Monday, August 22, 2005

Elvis in Buenos Aires??

So, I spent Saturday night at an Elvis cover band concert held by the Elvis fan club of Buenos Aires. Imagine a high school theatre and a middle aged man with his band in their interpretation of '50's clothing singing in English with a Spanish accent. He would be trying to dance in the same style that Elvis did, obviously, and the crowd would go wild after each set. Which means they all clapped emphatically. Maybe one or two hoots.

After about 10 songs, the man left the stage and a girl in a poodle skirt came on to sing two songs. Apparently it is so that the lead singer could take a break. Well the girl was as enthusiastic as a guy cleaning elephant shite in 40 degree heat. Thankfully, the other guy came on and did about 6 more songs.

Next to me was a little girl, no more than 4 years old, clapping enthusiastically to the beat of each song. She only managed to kick me once, in which I gave her a look. I didn't get kicked again and she inched closer to her father in the next seat.

After a 20 minute intermission, there was a documentary on Elvis. When really great scenes of Elvis or his family came on, flashes of a blinding aura were generated from these enthusiasts taking pictures of the screen. When the documentary was over, there was a "special feature" section (like those available on any DVD) with videos of Elvis performances. I fell asleep about 5 songs in. (Sorry if ur an Elvis fan). My friend Veronica and I left shortly after she poked me in the ribs, causing my elbow to fall off the armrest.

I did enjoy the live perfomance though. Not so much as a fan, but I was definitely amused.

No comments: