Saturday, May 06, 2006

San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico

Altitude of about 2189 metres. I can’t stand high altitudes.

Day 1. Slept. I had about 2 hours of sleep the night before. There was a collective farewell party. The hostel in San Cris was really chill. There was a girl at the hostel with an amazing voice and a guitar. She sang various songs for about 25 mins. Amazing.

Day 2. Moved hostels. Hostel Qhia was nice but too many stairs for my bad knee and too quiet for my liking.

I hit the markets after moving and bought and bought and bought. Well, not really. I just got a couple more scarves and tried to look for things for my dad. Somehow I don’t think he’ll wear a peasant shirt in bright red…

I was making my way down the pedestrian walkway when the rain started. It DUMPED down for a good hour and I took refuge in yet another café.

I got back to the hostel, watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith, ate instant noodles and now I’m cold and bored.

Most of what I’ve seen of the town is colonial in style. It’s an interesting juxtaposition with the Mayans. I took a couple of pics of the churches but I can’t be bothered to go into ANOTHER church.

* Street side tacos. Yum. Saucer-sized tortillas with your choice of meat on top, grilled in front of you. For $1.50 Pesos each. That’s $0.15 USD. It took 3 to fill me up. Lunch for $0.45 USD. What can I say.

Day 3. I woke up in pain. It’s so cold at night, even under four layers of blankets, I tense up in a ball. I can barely walk. I went to the General Market which is bustling with all sorts of people but not so many tourists. Some ladies carried chickens. Some stalls had fruits and veggies. Some had clothes. I went into a vegetable, fruit, general goods, shoe store and bought these cute leather shoes for about $15 CAD. They fit in the store but after walking around for a little bit, they are a bit too small. I’ll have to stuff them with newspaper or something.

Day 4. I bought tickets to Oaxaca. Highs of 30, lows of 20. I can deal with that.

No comments: