Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Leon, Nicaragua. City tour

OK, touring the city has been a work in process over the past few days. It gets so hot here that by noon, you just have to retreat to the hostel, pick a comfortable resting state and not move until sundown. During this time, you WILL be lunched on by mosquitoes.

The first day. I arrived in the afternoon and was able to walk down to the supermarket and back.

The second day. I got up swimming in my own sweat. After I washed up, I walked to a vegetarian restaurant and had a fruit salad with ice-cream. Then strolled to the biggest church in Central America and took pictures of the lion statues.

The third day. I got up swimming in my own sweat. After I washed up, I walked around to the different churches. It was a Sunday and everything was closed. Surprisingly, even the churches.

The fourth day. I got up swimming in my own sweat. After I washed up, I went to El Fortín. See previous post.

The fifth day. I got up swimming in my own sweat. After I washed up, I went to the Heroes and Martyrs museum. It was a small room full of pictures of the revolutionaries that died in the late '70's and early '80's. Some of them were killed at El Fortín. There was a donation box in the back and the lady watching over the place pointed to the suggested donation sign every time we passed. They should just charge a fee instead of giving people an "option."

Next stop, a museum dedicated to a famous writer from Nicaragua. It was all in Spanish. I was too exhausted to try to read everything. Basically, the writings were about his life and works. There was a room full of colonial furniture and some of his published works. I think his name was Rueben Dario.

On my way back, I went to the fine art museum. Everything from religious paintings from the 1500's all the way up to contemporary artists. I didn't recognize any of the artists' names. The collection was so big that they have 2 buildings for all the pieces.

I also did some shopping this day. I paid too much for a tank top, all of $3 CAD, and a bra in the wrong size that I wasn't allowed to try on. Apparently it's unhygenic. Meagan has another theory. She thinks that there are so many lactating pregnant or new mothers in Latin America, it would be unhygenic to try the bras on in fear of transferring germs via the breast milk. I would rather think that it is so damned hot that people are sweating for most of the day that the excess sweat would stain the material of the bras thus devaluing the $7 CAD bra.

No comments: