Monday, September 12, 2005

The man on the train

I wonder what has happened to the man on the train.... I take the train about 3 times a week. Usually this 3-foot-tall, middle aged man is on the various couches begging for money. Although he looks about 50 lbs overweight, I don't think he's had a decent meal in a while. It doesn't seem like he's had a shower or seen clean water for about a month either. If I don't see him on the train, I usually see him napping at the train station on his cardboard mattress. On the train, his deep raspy voice trembles when he pleads. People usually move out of his way as he pushes his way down the aisle with his wooden paddles in each hand. His makeshift board-with-wheels holds the remaining part of the top half of his body. I wonder how he lost his legs. I wonder where his family is, or went. I wonder where he has gone.

No comments: