Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Dec. 1, 2004. Arrive!!!!

I, of course, got stopped at the BA customs. I couldn't really understand them but somehow I got thru. I walked to the baggage claim area to get my bags and it was almost alright. The big black suitcase I have has 2 front pockets. Both of which had stuff in it. Of course, I had my mini locks on them when I left Vancouver. And of course they were ripped apart and the pocket was opened. I don't know what they may have taken, but I guess nothing too important; I'm not missing it now. So I am freaking dead tired, having only slept about 6 hours in the past 2 days, and I'm dragging my stuff out of the terminal to look for transporation to my hostel. Well, of course I went with the only company that had someone who spoke English. And paid $20 USD, later to find out that I could have walked 1 foot to a shuttle bus and paid $18 pesos. Tengo "turista" on my forehead!! The Spanish course that I took in Vancouver was of absolutely no use. I forgot it all in the time zone changes. HA!

Anyways, driving to the hostel...We are on this highway. I have no clue where I am. The taxi driver tells me that he doesn't know where my streets are and he can't get to them. WTF??!! I made sure the controller back at the airport called his drivers to confirm that they knew the address. By now, every horror story that I've ever heard about Latin America is running through my head. Then I tried consoling myself. "At least it's happenng in Argentina. If I fail, at least I tried. Too bad it isn't for a longer period of time." Yeah...no. That didn't help. Anyways, the driver proceeded to get me to the city centre and was going to drop me off at the closest street corner. Shit, shit, shit, shit. I couldn't carry all my bags. They were much too heavy. Then, thank GOD, I saw my hostel kitty corner to where I was standing. The driver helped me with my bags and I made my way to the door. Does the adventure end here? Nope.

I am at the bottom of a business tower. I see the sign for the hostel but, couldn't figure how to open the door. Freaking out right about now. More freaked out than before. I couldn't leave my stuff to find a pay phone. And I know Sarah wasn't around to get me; she was working. I would have very much liked to sit on my suitcases and cry. Then I noticed the doorbell...

I got settled in and ended up having pasta, bread and a drink for five pesos that night with Sarah and her boyfriend.

No comments: