Sunday, April 30, 2006

San Pedro la laguna. (3/29-4/24)

OK, much better, although filled with hippies, space cookies and property-owning Dutch men. One of the towns lining a volcano cater lake, this one seems to have the best mix with the Mayan community and gringos. However, this I coming from a person who hasn’t visited any of the neighbouring towns… I must also add that the gringos are not your typical camera toting, zip-off pants/shorts wearing, I-must-bring-all-my-make-up type people. Not saying that some of the people I’ve met are normal by any means.

There are a lot of new age, self healing, and spiritual enlightenment activities available here. (No I didn't participate in any of those.) From yoga to qi-gong to reiki and other classes abound. Hell, I gave belly dancing classes. I even fell in love. Chiquita, Hyena and Chula are some of the dogs that I wish I could bring home. Some of the folks I’ve met made my experience here. It’s the reason I stayed so long. Photos to come soonish.

Most of my time was passed by sitting in a hammock bullshitting with people until happy hour. Then it would be a drink, than a movie with chocolate cake and then to the expat watering hole. At Barrio, I would watch, and sometimes played, Texas Hold’em with the sharks, I managed to lose about 200Q’s (about $30 CAD) over the course of a week before I decided t stop putting these guys on my payroll. I’ve returned multiple times to watch though.

Needless to say, these three weeks have been a happy blur. I’ve also gained a few pounds. Surprising how inactivity can do that. Now I’ve gone and I’m sad but, most of those lovely folk have left to also continue their journey to other parts of the world.

No comments: