Monday, January 09, 2006

Salta - Finally (Part 2/2)

Other interesting things

Balcarce Street.
There's a row of pubs on this street and each one has a stage. Basically , a different style of music in each pub. Beatriz, Alex and I chose one that played rock. Just after we began to pour the beer, Beatriz was saying that she was tired. Well why take us there if you're not up for joining in? Anyways, Alex and I finished our beers (Beatriz didn't have any) and went back.

Good food.
OK, steak in Argentina is great. But when there is no other choice or variety, I start to crave other stuff like mad. So when we went to this little restaurant that served regional food, I got this corn/cheese thing wrapped and steamed in corn husks, topped with hot sauce, REAL hot sauce. Yummers!

City Tour.
I was adamant on going to see the city despite the rain. I was all prepared to go by myself as Beatriz and Alex were squeamish with getting wet. I guess the adventure-er in Alex got to him because he decided to come with. I don't think Beatriz liked that. In Argentina, boys and girls aren't friends. That mentality, I would have to say, is absolute bollocks. Anyways, as detached as I tried to be so that Beatriz could feel more at ease with Alex having a female friend, I still saw her 24-year-old antics and tactics. She even got up in the middle of dinner that evening to serve Alex his second helping. She could have easily passed him the plate. Instead, she got up, took the plate, went to his side, put the food on his dish, went back to her seat, put the plate down and continued to eat her dinner. I made a comment about cultural differences but, she never did that before; she usually just passed the dish. Being subservient is being a good girlfriend? Fuck that shit. No wonder I'm single. As for the city... churches and a natural science museum (which cost $0.50 pesos and took about 10 minutes to walk through the two small rooms).

Gondola.
There's this gondola that took you up one of the smaller mountains. From the top you see the entire city. Quite breathtaking. It was raining when I went, which meant less people. Perfect. Luckily, by the time I reached the top, the sun broke out. A crisp view, with no people standing in the way of my pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what´s all this about subservience = good girlfriend?! It´s called give and take! I do things for her too y´know!

It´s true she wasn´t that happy about me going places with you, but on the other hand she was happy enough to still let me do it! I agree that not having friends of the opposite sex is pretty stupid, but if that´s how it is in your culture and you´ve never really known anything different it´d be pretty difficult to change your mind (although I´m working on it).

And she´s 26, not 24. :-)