Monday, January 30, 2006

Quito, Ecuador

I met up with a buddy who's Ecuadorian and had to say farewell to Mike. Too bad, he was cool. Anyways, Juance, his gf and I went for coffee at a restaurant overlooking the night lights of Quito. We re-hashed our party days at Domus ( the hostel I stayed in for 3 months). Originally, I was going to stay at his place but, as I was 1.5 weeks late getting there, there was no room because his gf was in town. Juance took me hostel hunting, in which I am most grateful. He's fluent in Spanish and haggled for me.

The next day I took the public bus to Mitad del Mundo - The middle of the world. I took a couple of pictures of the monument over the ecuatorial line. The complex was a tourist trap, full of stores and resturant. The main obelisk had an etnographic museum, showing the various indigenous groups in Ecuador. This was most interesting.

For dinner, I went to an Irish Pub next to the hostel. It was called the Killkenny. Nothing at all like the one in BsAs. In fact almost opposite. I ordered an overpriced, over-salty burger with a bun harder than the table I was at. The fries - I couldn't eat them as they were way too salty. I ordered a dark beer- Llama Malta - whiche turned out quite nice. Not too sweet, perfect temperature, and just spicy enough. Althought the head was gone halfway through. And no, it did not take me an hour to finish half the beer. Maybe 30 mins.... :)

No comments: