Wednesday, January 11, 2006

La Paz, Bolivia Day 2 - Archeological site: Tiwanaku - Updated

Really, I should just put a link here because I'm just gonna say the same things but with less accuracy.

The tour started at 8 am, which mean 8:30 after we picked everyone up. We headed towards the site which was 1.5 hours away. We stopped briefly at the original city of La Paz. The tour guide said that everyone left to the current day La Paz because the climate is less severe at lower altitudes. We took pics of a 400-year-old church, then hopped back on the bus. When we got there, we went through the museum before heading to the site.

Highlights / Interesting facts:

* Tiwanaku culture existed before the Incas. They had developed into an advanced society eventually venturing into culture and land expansion.

* There are images of all races of the world we know now in statures or art. Most significantly, Asian-people images, Northern European and African face statues.

* Only a SMALL percentage of the site has been excavated. The entire site is supposed to cover 1000’s of square kilometers. This was discovered through satellite technology. They do not have the funding to have continuous steady work done on the site. It seems that bits and pieces are excavated as the $$ comes in. When I was there, a section of steps about 20 feet long was uncovered only 6 weeks ago.

* Here’s the link to the site for those interested: http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31&id_site=567

So, after I got back, I went shopping and then had dinner (actually having dinner as I’m writing this in my book.) at a Lebanese Restaurant.

Things I bought:

1 x hippie pants $35 Bobs
1 x llama felt hat $25 Bobs
1 x llama woolen gloves $12 Bobs
-----------------------------------------------
Total $70 Bobs = $8.75 CAD

I’m gonna go looking for a digital camera on the back market on Wednesday. Alex, I think the odds are more against you now on your poll request… Don’t worry guys, I’ll write as soon as I’m safe. If you don’t hear from me again Ale, you lost your bet. :)

No comments: