Friday, January 20, 2006

Copacabana, Bolivia. Day 1

Still suffering with altitude sickness but, compounded by the even higher altitude, I arrived at Copacabana shivering on the bus. Even higher and even colder, I walked quickly to find a place to sleep. The place I ended up at gave me my own room for only $20 Bob's a night. That's pretty good. The place looked clean. The bathrooms looked clean and I was able to see the lake from my window. Not just a small corner of the lake either. Unfortuanately, like most places I've stayed in in Boliva, the place was not heated. I was completey worn out and, as quick as I could, I found my fleece banket and cacooned up under about 4 layers of blankets. I stayed like this shivering all night. I woke up several times shivering and my body in an intense knot. The 3rd or 4th time I started hyperventalating which, to my relief, made me feel much warmer. The next time I woke up shivering, I forced myself to pant for air and indeed, I felt warmer and fell back asleep. In the morning I woke warm but my entire body was so sore from shivering all night.

(Note: Copacabana also exists in Brazil. Apparently, the city in Brazil was named after this one in Bolivia.)

No comments: